* Registration is now OPEN * for the next Alliance Diversity in Data – Ethnicity coding standards working group meeting, taking place on Wednesday 24th May 2023 (10am – 4pm). We are excited to be hosting this meeting in-person, at the College Court Conference Centre in Leicester, and we hope you can join us for the day.
The aim of this session is to discuss and refine a set of recommendations for key areas of improvement around recording of ethnicity data, developed based on feedback from previous sessions.
Draft recommendations can be viewed here
We have a fantastic line-up of expert speakers who will share their insights and perspectives on 6 key themes:
- The purpose and value of capturing ethnicity data – Marta Pineda Moncusí (Oxford University)
- Ethnicity data standardisation – Vahé Nafilyan and Rose Drummond (Office for National Statistics)
- Communication and transparency – Della Ogunleye (STANDING Together subcommittee members)
- Training and guidance for ethnicity data collection – Jonathan Valabhji (NHS England)
- Data Linkage to improve data completeness – Angela Wood (University of Cambridge)
- International harmonisation – Alastair Denniston (INSIGHT and University Hospitals Birmingham NHSFT)
Each presentation will be followed by small group discussions with plenty of opportunity to provide feedback/share ideas.
Final agenda can be viewed here
Once again, we are delighted to have Professor Kamlesh Khunti (University of Leicester) and Ashley Akbari (Swansea University) Chair this event and we look forward to continuing the excellent discussions we have had at previous meetings.
Diversity in data is a cross-cutting theme which aligns with HDR UK’s diversity and inclusion policy. The Alliance has highlighted the need to address concerns around quality of data and missing samples that can hinder the reliability of scientific insights. We are now keen to bring communities together to discuss recommendations for improving completeness, consistency and representativeness of routinely collected data.
While there are many different aspects to consider within the diversity data field, this working group focuses on challenges and opportunities in the use of data reporting ethnicity.
Ethnicity coding working group
On 18th January 2023, we held our third Diversity in Data – Ethnicity coding working group session, chaired by Ashley Akbari and Kamlesh Khunti. The session provided an opportunity for stakeholders working in this area to share their thoughts and feedback on a first draft of a set of recommendations to improve the capturing and recording of ethnicity data in the UK, based on community feedback and input received so far.
This meeting follows on from two successful ethnicity coding working group meetings held on the 13th January and 6th April 2022. The workshop reports summarise the main points highlighted during each of these meetings, and can be downloaded via the links below.